Baptism is the sacrament of faith which has the Risen Christ as its source, and it is the offer of salvation for all people. Intimately linked to Confirmation and to Eucharist, Baptism is, with these two sacraments, Christian Initiation. The child is baptized in the faith of their parents, godparents and of the Church.
Are you Pregnant? Have a newborn or child under the age of 7 years? *
If you are planning to have your child baptized, you can start the process now. Baptism Preparation Class is held the third Tuesday of the month in the Rectory Meeting Room at 7:00p.m. and lasts approximately one hour.
*If your child is over 7 years of age and has NOT been baptized they will need to go through our Faith Formation program also called RCIC (Rite of Christian Initiation for Children). Please contact Mary Lou Pacoe, if you have questions. Register your child here<link to online form for RCIC> for RCIC.
What do we ask of parents bringing their children (infant to 7 years old) for the sacrament of Baptism?
Download and fill out our online Baptism Registration Form.
Return this form to the Parish Office or Submit the Form Online.
Once the form is received a representative from the Parish Office will contact you to confirm your registration for one of the required baptism preparation classes.
Both parents are encouraged to attend the baptismal preparation session.
The godparents are also invited to attend along with you but this is not required.
Parents must attend the preparation session held on the third Tuesday of each month. At that time a Baptism Registration Form must be filled out and turned into the instructor. If living in the Erie area, it is strongly recommended that parents are registered members of Saint George Church. Become a member of the parish by completing the Parish Registration Form. If you have had other children baptized at Saint George Church and it has been within the last 2-3 years you do NOT need to attend the class but we will need the Baptism Registration Form before we can schedule. Please Read The Requirements For Sponsors (Godparents) Carefully Before Scheduling Your Baptism.
- Every child must have at least one godparent that meets the following requirements: (Canons 872-874)
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Must be a fully initiated Roman Catholic. This means the person has received the sacrament of Confirmation.
- If married, the marriage must be valid according to the laws of the Roman Catholic Church. This means the marriage is “blessed”, performed, or approved by a Roman Catholic priest or deacon.
- Must be a practicing Catholic. This means the person is attending mass on Saturday/Sunday and Holy Days of Obligation and receives the sacraments regularly.
- If you will have two godparents then one must be male and one female.
- If a non-Catholic is chosen for the role of a godparent, the individual is considered as a Christian witness. This person needs to be baptized Christian.
Celebration of the Sacrament
Baptisms can be celebrated in a number of ways; traditionally after the 11:30am Mass, during one of our weekend masses or after the 4:30pm Vigil Mass on Saturdays. Any other time will need to be approved by calling Deacon Robert Ball at 814-862-0622.
Questions or concerns please contact the Rectory Office at 814-864-0622 to speak with Deacon Bob or other personnel that can be of assistance.