Though we cannot attend Mass at this time, we are still asked to “keep holy the sabbath.” There are many ways one can continue to honor the sabbath. A family prayer service is one of those ways.
This prayer service includes a “spiritual communion.” When the Sacrament of Communion is not available, a spiritual communion allows the faithful to unite themselves spiritually to Jesus in the Sacrifice of the Mass which is still being offered every day by countless priests around the world. St. Teresa of Avila wrote that “the love of God will be greatly impressed on you” when making a spiritual communion. For more information on spiritual communions, visit check the “Spiritual Communion” tab on this page.
Before you begin this prayer service you will need to:
- Print out the readings for the day. They can be found by going to usccb.org and clicking on the proper date on the calendar on the right side of the page.
- Print out the Order of Worship.
- Print participant sheets. Those who participate in this service will need access to the prayers which they are asked to pray.
- Assign roles. The “Leader” will lead most of the service. The “Readers” will read the readings and the prayers of the faithful. You may choose to assign multiple readers for the different readings and prayers.
- Prepare the location for this service. It may be done anywhere in the family household, but it might be nice to light a candle and have a crucifix or other religious image present.
- You may consider singing a hymn at the beginning and end, though this is not necessary. There are many resources for hymns on the internet.
Also St. George Church will be broadcasting our Mass on Sunday at 10:00am on the channel 35-1 (ENN+) as well as on our parish youtube channel (please subscribe). Please consider joining us in prayer from the comfort of your home.
Check out our COVID-19 Resources page for more information on how to stay connected in prayer during this difficult time.